[asterisk-users] Zap difficulties

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:12:17 MST 2006

It's normal to have to wait (under a second in your case) for a dial
tone from the phone company when seizing a line.

If you were placing a call on a phone directly connected to the phone
company, the time it takes to physically pick up the phone and move
your hand to the dial normally takes at least a half a second, giving
the CO time to start the dial tone and prepare to receive the dialed
digits.

In the old days, one actually had to listen for the dial-tone before
dialing, as the phone company equipment would not necessarily be ready
to receive your digits in 1-2 seconds. With modern electronic
switches, though, a constant delay of 0.5s - 1.0s should be fine.

-Rusty