[asterisk-users] SIP header challenge

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Aug 13 04:48:54 MST 2006

> I'm using a wholesale voip origination provider - they don't deal with
> end users. As such they have statically defined my Asterisk box on
> their end - there's no registration or authentication by my system
> with theirs - other than them hardcoding the destination IP of my
> server in their system.
>
> As such I don't have a username to "register" with them. Additionally
> they will be originating 100s of DIDs for me at the end of the day, so
> it would be horrible to have to register all these in some way.
>
> Also, I don't have any "register" statements with provider A, and
> somehow that seems to work out just fine as well.
>
> It seems to me like Asterisk doesn't like the format of what's coming
> from their system. Perhaps the addition of: ";user=phone" is confusing
> Asterisk?
>
> That's the only obvious difference, that and the Contact: header being
> set to "s".
>
> Any other ideas?

Nope, other then if I were trying to troubleshoot the issue, I'd get an
ethereal trace of both A and B along with a matching sip debug. By
comparing the two trace methods one should be able to rule out at least
some issues and narrow the possible root cause.

I don't consider myself a sip protocol expert, but I'd have to guess
that Olle, Kevin, and few others on the list would be able to help
interpret that output if its condensed to some reasonable size, and not
summarized by selected copy/paste of portions of the traces that might
miss important details.

Given the level of detail and amount of analysis time needed to fully
understand the issue, posting all of that to the list probably isn't
going to get the wanted result. Maybe a private email to one of the more
knowledgeable sip folks requesting their assistance might be helpful.

If the problem turns out to be something like the ";user=phone"
mentioned, I'd have to wonder if the wholesale provider would actually
do anything about it though.

R.