[asterisk-users] Fast busy signals... Satisfying my curiousity

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Fri Aug 11 10:38:21 MST 2006

Hey all. I pretty much need to satisfy my own curiosity on something.
Someone makes an incoming call to my Asterisk box, number never shows up
in any log whatsoever. I call the T1 provider, the number never shows up
on their end. According to the caller, every single instance shows
they're getting a busy signal dialing my number and I have absolutely no
reason in the universe to doubt them. Now, from my perspective, managing
the Asterisk box, their is obviously nothing I can do, but question the
T1 provider. The T1 provider claims the same "It never made it into our
switch". So what's next, I know it is something on the company's T1
provider's end, yet there is little I can do. According to the company,
it worked well during the PSTN days with the same provider, its just not
working now. Something smell fishy? You bet ya. However that's besides
the point, can anyone else think of what other kind of test I can make.
I've tried PSTN to VoIP dial-ins which worked fine. VoiP to VoIP...
Fine. Seems to be from what I can tell, one particular instance.

Layman scenario
CustomerA at number 2125551212 calls 7185550000 which is an Aterisk PBX
CustomerA 2125551212 --> T1 --> Asterisk Box 17185550000 --> FAST BUSY

CustomerA calls Asterisk Provider... 2125551212 is trying to reach us
but getting fast busy... What the heck!

Asterisk digs down into the Asterisk PBX logs... Nothing

Asterisk Admin calls T1 Provider
Asterisk Admin --> T1 customer service --> Do you see 2125551212 dialing
in? .... T1 Cust Svce --> Asterisk Admin --> Nope

Who would you think is to blame... And what tools if any (and I doubt
there is) would you use to resolve this?

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
GPG Key ID 0x1383A743
Fingerprint:
7B02 28CF 24D3 ACA7 9907  789A 8772 7736 1383 A743
26:0608031813:J. Oquendo::fNaE6zH/HDTggYKS:005zLMj

sil . infiltrated @ net
http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams