[asterisk-users] can Digium FXS channels support been half mile to 1 mile length away from phone?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 9 12:51:30 MST 2006

Manrique Feoli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to setup 6 phones about 3/4 of a mile from the main box,   (can't
> do it with VoIP yet because of networking issues),  does anyone knows if
> the boards can resist such a length for FXS ports.  Right now there is a
> Dialogic MSI160 working fine.
>
> The actual length in a straight line is about half a mile,  it does have
> a single cable point to point, but can't be sure where the cable goes
> since it has to pass from one building to another,   so it might end up
> been quite a bit more distance.
>
> If the answer is they can't handle such a distance does anyone knows  if
> there is an alternative,  (line booster or whatever similar )

With the exception of the ring generator on the digium card, the fxs
port specs are basically the same as telephone company specs. Telco
lines in rural areas often times exceed six miles. So, yes the digium
card will handle your half mile just fine.

The ring generator on the card is much smaller then those used in the
telco, and is likely limited to maybe two or three ringers at the
distant location. Don't plan on attaching multiple phones to the fxs
port at your remote location. (Same is basically true with the sangoma
card.)