[asterisk-users] Re: Meetme chat room with many users, and only 4 can talk, is there a max amount of users?

Manrique Feoli manrique.feoli at kinetos.com
Mon Aug 7 14:25:59 MST 2006

Thanks for your reply Tony    (I'm starting a new thread now,  sorry about that!!)

I see we'll have to do some developing for what I'm looking for,

but thinking again about it,  I should be able to make one room for chatting of 4 users,  and one room only for listening of about 120 calls,  shouldn't I?

Now,  talking about capacity with meetme,  If I work with a quad span E1,  getting all connections to talk between them on meetme,  (that is not transcoding and not connecting to SIP phones).   Will this take too much CPU?

Does anyone knows or thinks I might be able to manage 120 channels conferencing among them only on zap devices with a PIV/ 3GHz 1GB Ram?

thanks

Manrique

I need to setup a meetme room where you could accept say 120 incoming
> calls to listen to the chat,  BUT,  only the first 4 can talk,  so when
> one of the first 4 leaves the room,  number 5 becomes 4 and is able to
> talk on the room.
>
> Is this doable with meetme??   (am I making any sense?)

Not directly. You will need some kind of program that is using the
Manager API to monitor activity and issue the unmute commands.

Alternatively, make your own customised version of MeetMe itself.

You should also consider how you might notify a caller when they become
eligible to speak.

> > Is this a reasonable amount of calls to handle with meetme?¿?

That depends on many factors: CPU power; whether the calls come in via
a quad-E1 card or VoIP; for VoIP, what codec is used; etc.

Cheers
Tony