[asterisk-users] Simple incomming fax solution ...

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Mon Aug 7 08:29:36 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:17 +0100, phil.dawson at marnock.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to install a digium card for two analog lines replacing my x100
> clone card.  I want to receive faxes on one of these lines.  I believe
> faxing is not officially supported on these cards as they cannot guarantee
> 100% success rate but this wont stop me trying :-)
>
> The question(s) are:
>
> Can I receive a fax using Asterisk directly or do I need a fax machine to
> route to using an ATA?
> If I need an ATA for a fax machine can you recommend one that does the job
> well?

	The short answers are:

1 - If you do not have a physical fax machine use iaxmodem/hylafax on
the asterisk machine to send and receive faxes.

2 - If you have a fax machine buy something like the Linksys PAP2 or the
Linksys SPA-2002 and only enable alaw.

	Either way you should have a decent enough success rate with your
faxes.

--
Carlos Chavez Prats
Director de Tecnología