[asterisk-users] G729, IAX, polycom - trying to using 2 codecs

Dean at INKnBITs dean.bath at inknbits.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 04:25:10 MST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get asterisk to use two different codecs, is this possible?

In the sip.conf I have:

[3002]
type=friend
host..
..
..
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=g729

When I make internal calls, ie voicemail or pstn calls, I would like it to
use alaw (which it does), but when I make an IAX call, I would like it to
use G729, which it will not. I have in the iax.conf, disallow=all and
allow=g729.

If I swap the sip.conf around to be:

disallow=all
allow=g729
allow=alaw

Then the G729 call to the IAX works fine, but then I can not use the
voicemail/pstn because it tries to use G729 and not alaw.
As the polycom uses G729 through the IAX to my sip provider (who has G729),
then I believe this is called pass-thru, so I don't need any licenses? Is
that correct?

I thought the idea of have a list was if it tried the G729 and failed it
should use the next in the list, alaw?

Am I doing something wrong here, or is that just the way it is?

Thanks,
Dean.