[asterisk-users] IAXy behind NAT, unable to transfer?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sat Aug 5 09:35:14 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Iddings
[mailto:jeff at iddings.us]
Discussion [mailto:asterisk-users at lists.digium.com]
Sent: Sat, 05 Aug 2006
17:15:58 -0300
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] IAXy behind NAT, unable to
transfer?

> > On 8/5/06, Jeff Iddings <jeff at iddings.us> wrote:
> >> IAX Provider--> Asterisk/NAT Firewall--> IAXy (192.168.0.x)
> >>
> >> When a call comes into the Asterisk box, it then rings the IAXy.
> >> When the IAXy is answered, I get..
> >>
> >> -- IAX2/homeiaxy-6 answered IAX2/teliax-4
> >> -- Channel 'IAX2/teliax-4' unable to transfer
> >> -- Channel 'IAX2/homeiaxy-6' unable to transfer
> >>
> >> This is the same behavior when calling outbound, and I've tried a few
> >> other calls to other IAX-capable boxes -- same results. I'd ideally
> >> like the IAXy to talk directly to the IAX provider and bypass the
> >> Asterisk box after the call is setup.
> >>
> >> I presume this is just a limitation of IAX and/or the IAXy, but maybe
> >> someone could advise me if that is actually the case?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jeff

This is actually perfectly normal behavior depending on what sort of NAT is in place and what happened. Essentially what IAX2 does is before actually transferring the connection directly, it will make sure that it will work. The IAXy talks to Teliax, and Teliax talks to the IAXy. What happened is that they weren't able to talk directly to eachother so they kept the connection through your Asterisk machine.

Joshua Colp
Digium