[asterisk-users] SNOM 360

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Fri Aug 4 11:04:39 MST 2006

Dovid Bender wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Davies" <davies147 at gmail.com>
> <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
> Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 6:01 AM
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] SNOM 360

>>> I would be surprised to learn that the Snom is actively doing traffic
>>> management itself.
>>> Traffic managment must be done at the bottleneck to be halfway
>>> successful. Let's
>>> assume you are doing a download and you snom would do traffic
>>> management giving
>>> itself priority. What if your co-worker is doing a huge download? How
>>> should your
>>> snom know and throttle his download? No way.
>>>
>> That is a different problem entirely, and as you say, the snom cannot
>> do anything about a remote bottleneck (except perhaps theough QoS and
>> TOS flags in the data it sends).
>>
>> The snom does seem to manage its two local ports properly though but
>> this cannot be hard. Worst case is that the snom needs about 128Kb/s -
>> Not hard on a 100Mb/s full duplex connection :)
>>
>> Dovid - Have you identified where the bottleneck is in this case? You
>> do not specify as far as I can see. Is the VoIP call using the
>> internet, or is it local?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Steve
> It is using the internet. The problem is when a user starts a big
> download. The phone call goes to s***.

Dovid,
I would guess that:
First thing would be quick&dirty ASCII drawing, showing where is the PC,
the SNOM and the "sources/destinations" of the Internet and VOIP traffic.
You mentioned download, assuming this is a DSL connection, this would
be, when it arrive at the IP phone, would be too late to do anything, IF
you are bumping into a bottleneck in the DSL downstream.
What 'direction' of the voice path is suffering, did you capture the
traffic (is it suffering because of jitter, packet loss, ...) ?
Like others mention, QoS (the buzzword :-), is a very wide and generic
term, and you will need to 'isolate' the problem to see if a solution is
feasible.