[asterisk-users] Detecting voicemail from CO on FXO port

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 12:16:11 MST 2006

> Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Bob Bosiljevac <bob at akn.ca>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Detecting voicemail from CO on FXO port
>         and     passing to H.323 phone. Possible?
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> > Basically, I want to be able to detect that there is voicemail waiting
> at the
> > CO on an FXO port and somehow flash the message waiting light on an
> H.323
> > phone (or any other type of phone)
>
> I assume that by the lack of response, there is no way to pick up on the
> vocemail waiting signalling from the CO on a FXO zap channel. Can somebody
> confirm this.
>
> Bob.
>

> Interesting concept- but outside the present design principles of
Asterisk.  What that would imply is that Asterisk could be bridged (with
configuration, not code) to an external voice mail system- most of the focus
here is using Asterisk as a voicemail system for other PBX's.  While
Asterisk does have a way to indicate voicemail to a given phone (I haven't
tried an h.323 phone, but it definitely works with SIP and IAX, and it
shouldn't be impossible to make the zaptel driver recognize the stutter tone
(if it doesn't already, I haven't poked into that source), a whole new
configuration dialect or subdialect would have to be invented to convey the
message between the two.  Simple dialplan should be able to give you a 'one
click to pickup external voicemail' type setup- it's the indication which
Asterisk configs simply don't understand presently.

Nice little project for 1.6, if there's enough interest- I'd put it in as a
feature request in Mantis.

-pbd