[asterisk-users] IAX Trunking

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Thu Aug 3 09:03:17 MST 2006

Ok... it'd be great if someone could explain this to me...

User A on pbx1 wants to dial User B on pbx2. We do a local lookup and don't find user B on pbx1, so we do a DUNDi lookup of user B, get a result, and place the call to user B on pbx2 with IAX2.

When pbx2 calls the AGI script that dialls user B on pbx2, Asterisk passes a 'type' of IAX2, eventhough the endpoint for user B is a SIP phone. Why? If user B transfers or forwards calls, and Asterisk re-enters the dialplan, and subsequently calls the AGI script again, it's still passing a type of IAX2 to the script, eventhough, like before this is a SIP call.

This may be part of why I am having a problem with variables. Even when user B transfers a call, user B is registered to pbx2, so a new SIP call should be initiated with an accountcode set. Because it's IAX, there's no accountcode! Why?

It's as if the IAX trunk is overriding or controlling all the calls to/from SIP endpoints, which is completely crazy.

Doug.