[asterisk-users] Binary/unreadable configuration files?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Aug 2 16:54:59 MST 2006

----- Eric Bishop <asterisk.eric at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know if it possible to create binary/obfuscated/ human
> unreadable extensions.conf/sip.conf etc.? We would like to deploy a
> system in an environment where not giving out root is still not
> enough. We want to hide the contents of these normally plain text
> files.

It would be possible using #exec to run a program to decrypt the config files on-the-fly, but that will still put them into temporary files, and if the user has root access or can otherwise get to the Asterisk CLI they can learn a lot of the information anyway (as has already been pointed out).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer