[asterisk-users] Limitations of IAX

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Aug 2 07:29:27 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Douglas Garstang
[mailto:dgarstang at oneeighty.com]
Non-Commercial Discussion [mailto:asterisk-users at lists.digium.com]
Sent:
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:51:10 -0300
Subject: RE: [asterisk-users] Limitations of
IAX

> How many CLEC's are you aware of that are using Asterisk to provide not just
> enterprise features, but carrier grade features?

I don't keep track of everyone who uses Asterisk or what they use it for. I'm merely saying that if you run into an issue and you need it to behave a certain way then you either have to: work around it, add the ability to do what you want, do it differently, or give up and use something different.

> No... last time I opened a bug I got told it wasn't a bug, the bug was
> closed, and I was given bad feedback.

This doesn't mean you can't file another bug. I'm extremely easy when it comes to people who file bugs who genuinely think it's a bug in Asterisk when it's sometimes a configuration issue or just the way it works. Just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean you can't go back.

> Yeah well, I know if the account code isn't passed, we can't bill the call.
> How is passing the account code in the dialled string any less insecure than
> passing it somewhere else in the IAX protocol?

Writing it directly into the protocol is the dangerous part. You would need some control over who can set it and under what circumstances it is allowed. By encoding it into the dialed number only the users you control will be able to do it and the protocol doesn't need to be altered.

Joshua Colp
Digium