[asterisk-users] Limitations of IAX

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Wed Aug 2 10:51:10 MST 2006

How many CLEC's are you aware of that are using Asterisk to provide not just enterprise features, but carrier grade features?

> > Incoming PSTN call comes into to user A on pbx1. We look
> for user A locally,
> > and don't find them. We then do a DUNDi lookup, get a path,
> and dial user A
> > on pbx2 with IAX2. User A picks up the call.
> >
> > When IAX passes the call from pbx1 to pbx2, it does not
> pass some of the
> > dial plan variables. Namely dnid, which is set to
> 'unknown'. Consequently
> > (for reasons I don't yet understand) when user A on pbx2
> tries to do a blind
> > transfer, the dnid is not set, and as a result, we _must_
> fail the call
> > because we have no source number on our network.
>
> Have you reported a bug on this DNID not being passed?
No... last time I opened a bug I got told it wasn't a bug, the bug was closed, and I was given bad feedback.

> > Also, the account code is not picked up on pbx2 as well.
>
> As previously pointed out transporting the account code may
> be a security risk as well. If you really need it why don't
> you encode it into the dialed number or something?
Yeah well, I know if the account code isn't passed, we can't bill the call. How is passing the account code in the dialled string any less insecure than passing it somewhere else in the IAX protocol?