[asterisk-users] Asterisk, Linksys SPA-3000 echo

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 2 09:30:16 MST 2006

Dean @ INKnBITs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been looking through all the web sites about echo problems and how to
> solve them on the spa-3000, but I still have not managed to fix mine! I'm in
> the UK and have setup all the tones, port impedance to 370+620||310nF, had
> the echo Canc options on and off, turned down the SPA - PSTN gain until it
> would not even dial, still had the echo. It not a little echo, its enough
> you cannot really use it. (I have 3 units, and they all do the same)
>
> I'm using the SPA to route PSTN calls to asterisk, then polycom IP501 to
> asterisk.
>
> Hardware version: 3.0.0(1178)
> Software version: 3.1.3(GWa)
>
> I have tried 3.1.10 and 2.0.13, but still have the same problem, the other
> party has a clear call, but I can hear myself as an echo.
>
> Has anybody got these to work ok? If so, please, please, please could I have
> the settings you used, it's been driving me crazy for the last two weeks.

In the US, the spa3k has echo problems with pstn lines that are somewhat
long, and with pstn lines that are based on some central office remote
line concentrators.  The spa3k seems to work fairly well on short pstn
lines, but I've not tried to figure out exactly how long a pstn must be
before echo becomes a problem.

I know in my case (four pstn lines from two different CO's) the spa3k
does not do a very good job with echo cancellation, and these lines are
roughly 7,000 feet. At least one of the lines is via a remote line
concentrator (from a more distant CO), and it too has issues.

I've spent a significant amount of time with a commercial transmission
test set to identify the operational parameters around these lines, but
that only provides a perspective as to length, loss, etc. I gave up on
the spa3k's as well as the TDM400, and installed a A200d. That has been
providing excellent audio and echo cancellation for roughly six months.