[asterisk-users] Unicall stack, right versions?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Aug 2 05:39:12 MST 2006

Barzilai Spinak wrote:

> Thank you Steve.
> About the configs in Asterisk... I confess that I'm new to the code so
> I still need to read more. I didn't know about ast_config()
>
> About the hardcodedness of the countries... that seems to be the
> "problem". Everything is too oriented to "my country works like this
> with this telephone company".
> When in fact, what I'm using is not even to connect it to a the
> telephone company of my country but to some other machine which has an
> old Call Center implementation with some other modification of the MF
> R2 sequence.
> It doesn't relate specifically to any country. Yes, they are all
> similar, and being able to specify the number of ANI and DNIS/DID is
> sometimes all you need, that's why I could make it work.

Well that's just a weird system. Config files tend not to get over
those. See Mexico support in Unicall for an example. :-)

> There's some truth in your statement that opening the configuration to
> external files may get some people into trouble.
> On the other hand, what I see is a strange mix of:
> a) If you're doing telephony stuff you should know what you're doing
> b) Most people using Unicall (Asterisk for that matter) have very
> little idea of what they are doing and why (copying and pasting
> configs from here and there).
>
> So, where's the sweet spot? :-)

Most users are in category b. Usable by people who don't know what they
are doing is paramount. As I said, config files don't get over most
problems beyond what you can configure right now.

> I can spend 1 hour reading the source code and finally knowing how to
> change it to my needs. (For example, adding a new "country")
> Should I need to? Can people from the (b) set do it?
> Is it scalable?  What is more of a support nightmare?
>
> Please take all this as constructive comments. I really appreciate
> your work and if I had to do it from the start it would take me months
> longer!!!
>

> A real question that should go in a different mail, but what the check:
>
> Let's say I have two E1 spans, but one needs to talk
> CountryFooVersion, and the other needs CountryBarVersion (yes, both on
> the same machine and in the same "country", maybe different number of
> digits for ANI).

Each channel is individually configured. You could have 30 different
configurations on a single E1.

> How would I go about configing that?

In a unicall.conf file for chan_unicall? Set a configuration. Define
some channels. Set a new configuration. Define some more channels. The
most recent configuration is used as each channel is defined.

Regards,
Steve