[asterisk-users] nat and qualify questions

BerkHolz, Steven StevenBerkHolz at TESCOGroup.com
Tue Aug 1 06:24:11 MST 2006

Are there any problems with always having nat=yes and qualify=yes?

We just opened up our server to be accessible to SIP from the internet.
(used to require VPN)

I had to set the SIP setting for my test softphone to nat=yes and
qualify=yes.
This makes sense.

Some of these phone will never leave our building.
Some of these phone will come and go. (laptops)

Is the any negatives to just have all phones set to nat=yes and
qualify=yes?
If not, why is it not the default?

Thank You,

Steven BerkHolz