[Asterisk-Users] (Semi-OT) QoS Question FTP Living with Asterisk

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sat Apr 29 21:15:46 MST 2006

Steve Totaro wrote:
> I have searched google and came up with too many options and packages
> that may or may not work for my needs, most articles seem to be for
> setting up routers.  Maybe someone on the list can give me some better
> insight.
>
> I have monitoring turned on my "shift eight (tm)" (Asterisk ;-)) box for
> all calls.  We have over one hundred agents and tons of recordings in
> wav format.  I also have a cron job that runs a script to mux the in and
> out files and ftp them to a NAS device and it runs every five minutes.
> The NAS device and the * box are both directly connected to a Cisco
> Gigabit switch.  I have had complaints of calls fading in and out and
> also cutting off.  After reviewing the recordings, some of these
> complaints seem valid and I suspect the sheer bandwidth of the FTP
> traffic is causing the issues.  I also run nagios checks on the box and
> get ping warnings on a regular basis.
> My question is, how can I throttle the FTP (Standard with dist)
> transfers using out of the box CentOS4.3 (or any easy to use, low
> learning curve package)?  I thought about FTPing the files at less
> frequent intervals but that just makes the issue less frequent but last
> longer.
> I would like to accomplish throttling FTP on the Linux box with a
> solution that is not too elegant since this is a production machine in a
> busy call center.  If I cannot do it on the * box I guess my next step
> is to see if the Cisco Gigabit switch has any QoS functionality.
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve,

	If you don't want to get too fancy, you should switch to using rsync
(if possible) and use the "--bwlimit" option.  If you MUST use ftp, try
using trickle:

http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle

	I haven't used it, but you should be able to call your FTP upload
binary (whatever it may be) with it and force a lower transfer speed.

Let us know how it goes!

--
Kristian Kielhofner