[Asterisk-Users] SMP kernel on Pent 4?

Tomas Stribrny tomas.stribrny at skynet.cz
Thu Apr 27 00:48:39 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>> Rich Adamson wrote:
>>> Had a Pent 4 server running fc3 crash (kernel panic) and am
>>>
>>> I then noticed that FreePBX installed using a SMP kernel (and grub
>>> indicated a non-SMP kernel was installed as well).
>>>
>>> Would running an SMP kernel on a Pent 4 potentially cause a kernel
>>> panic? (Or, do I need to dig somewhere else?)

I remember that there were problems on FC running on P4 with HT
(hyperthreading). If you have only one physical CPU, run something like
'top' or 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' which shows you how many CPU system use.

If you have 1 fyz.CPU but 2 CPU in sys means P4-HT and SMP could be
fine. You can try to switch off HT support in BIOS and run nonSMP
kernel, and you'l see if it is better/more stable.

I'm running 2pcs of dual core xeons, so I have 4 (logical) CPU. And I'm
running FC4 with 2.6.16.-1.2096 SMP kernel.

by
xsilver