[Asterisk-Users] SMP kernel on Pent 4?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Apr 25 05:25:42 MST 2006

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Rich Adamson wrote:
>> Had a Pent 4 server running fc3 crash (kernel panic) and am rebuilding
>> from scratch. I installed FreePBX (CentOs) from scratch and asterisk
>> was running, but had not yet been configured. It too crashed with a
>> kernel panic. Ran memtest for 24 hours; no errors or issues uncovered.
>>
>> I then noticed that FreePBX installed using a SMP kernel (and grub
>> indicated a non-SMP kernel was installed as well).
>>
>> Would running an SMP kernel on a Pent 4 potentially cause a kernel
>> panic? (Or, do I need to dig somewhere else?)
>>
>> Nothing in the logs to suggest a root cause and I'm now waiting on
>> recurrence using the non-SMP kernel.
> Were you able to see an oops message when it crashed?  If not, then make
> sure a X11 server isn't running, and turn on nmi_watchdog.

No. In the FreePbx default installation, CentOs and all of the asterisk
components are installed automatically. X11 is not installed, leaving
only a linux command line on the console. Since the screen has only 24
displayable lines, the interesting stuff scrolled off the top before the
kernel panic occurred.

> The easiest way to capture the oops is with a serial console, but hand
> typing the text into another computer or a snapshot has worked in the
> past also.  Then post your results.
>
> Also check the system temp with lm_sensors and the quality of your
> drives with smartctl.

I'll give those a try. Gut feeling is oriented around FreePbx defaulting
to an smp kernel and this particular system is a single-processor
single-core Pent 4. I changed grub to load a non-smp kernel and still
waiting on recurrence (after about 24 hours).

R.