[Asterisk-Users] Re: Shielding of T1/E1 cables WAS RE: Pinouts for T1/E1 crossover

Don Pobanz asterisk at hastingsutilities.com
Mon Apr 24 14:04:24 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:
> I've never bothered to check to see if cat5 cables use the appropriate
> mating twisted pairs or not. Since the pinouts are different for cat5 vs
> T1 cables, I'd have to guess a single strand is used from two different
> twisted pair groups. That wouldn't be cool, but in short runs it
> probably doesn't have much of an impact.

A T1 and cat5 patch cable have the same pairs. However, patch cords are
straight through so they do not work in applications that require a
crossover cable. And no, a T1 crossover cable is not the same as a cat5
cross over cable.

For cat 5 (568B) has you have
pair 1 - conductors 5 & 4
pair 2 - conductors 1 & 2