Shielding of T1/E1 cables WAS RE: Pinouts for T1/E1 crossover cable WAS "RE: [Asterisk-Users] what cable to connect a legacy PBX to a TE410P ?"

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Apr 24 07:50:45 MST 2006

Alexander Lopez wrote:
> I was once told by a lineman that the cables they use didn't have that
> many twists in them because it wasn't needed, and that the extra twists
> would effectively use more cable and thus cost and weigh more than
> triple what they do now.

Good thing he doesn't work for a cable manufacturer as that's a total
crock of crap that even an inexperienced person should be able to
detect. (You can't twist two wires to make them weight three times as
much, or cost three times as much.)

> He told me that with the number of twists in
> the Cat 5 cable it would cancel out any interference, but he also stated
> that the effective length was calculated using a cable with less twists
> and subsequently 'less dense' and that if using a Cat5e cable you must
> factor that in. so if you use cat5e cable your are fine but you can't go
> as far.

Essentially true, but the impedance of a T1 cable is different from Cat5
cables, which is one of the primary factors in limiting distance. Has
nothing to do with the twists.

Shielded vs non-shielded has to do with the environment, and how much
electrical noise there is near the T1 cable. Nothing more, nothing less.