Shielding of T1/E1 cables WAS RE: Pinouts for T1/E1 crossover cable WAS "RE: [Asterisk-Users] what cable to connect a legacy PBX to a TE410P ?"

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Mon Apr 24 06:45:54 MST 2006

I was once told by a lineman that the cables they use didn't have that
many twists in them because it wasn't needed, and that the extra twists
would effectively use more cable and thus cost and weigh more than
triple what they do now. He told me that with the number of twists in
the Cat 5 cable it would cancel out any interference, but he also stated
that the effective length was calculated using a cable with less twists
and subsequently 'less dense' and that if using a Cat5e cable you must
factor that in. so if you use cat5e cable your are fine but you can't go
as far.

Regarding the Smart Jack it is mostly used as a location at the CPE
where the Telco can loop and make sure that the problem is at your end.
So your assumption is correct that you can plug anything you want into
it, its one your side of the demark, so if it doesn't work it's YOUR
problem.

> > Totally agree with you, unshielded cables are only usable if the
> > distance is short. Just curious, how should one ground the shield?
Do