[Asterisk-Users] Phones that work well through NAT

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Apr 18 07:31:01 MST 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 09:57, Sean Garland wrote:
> So how do you get a Polycom phone to work with * over NAT?  I can't seem to
> get it to work.  If I forward ports, I can get one-way audio, but that’s
> it.  Looking at a packet capture, it appears that my phone is trying to
> send data to the internal address of the * server, which is of course, not
> available from the private side of the NAT lan...  I have a polycom
> soundpoint IP 500.

You don't do anything to get it to work through NAT.

If your * box is behind NAT you need to screw around a little, but for
situations like this:

* box --- [internet] --- [nat dsl router] --- IP501

all you do is set 'nat=yes' on the * box, in the IP501's peer setting.  That's
it.  It even works with multiple IP501s behind the same NAT DSL router.

If you have a stupid NAT box that closes ports off too quickly or plays too
many games with the packets you may need some additional configuration
(shorter registration expirations, etc.) but just buy a decent NAT box...
WRT54Gs work just fine in their default configuration, for example.

-A.