[Asterisk-Users] Looking for a good VoIP Provider in the UK-

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Mon Apr 17 18:00:28 MST 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 03:15:06PM -0700, Maxx Lobo wrote:

> Any recommendations for a VoIP provider in the UK?
> I have a few guys in a field office in the UK with SIP phones and a VPN
> tunnel back to a working Asterisk setup in the US. The Asterisk setup
> has an IAX trunk with TelaSIP/VoipXpress with local DiD's for US
> offices, so they can call vendors, customers etc in the US at local
> rates. I'd like to get the same thing for the UK, so that UK customers
> can call them as a local call AND they can dial out UK numbers as local
> calls. The obvious side benefit would be that US employees could call UK
> customers and vendors as a local call as well.
> I've looked at Telappliant, VoipTalk and PipeCall so far, and I'd like
> to get some feedback before going with one or the other.
> I'd be grateful for any opinions on the quality of (these, other)
> services, how responsive they are to problems, and if they are as easy
> to setup with Asterisk as TelaSIP. Recommendations are appreciated, of
> course.

There's Gradwell.com, Magrathea Telecom and others.

In terms of real carriers, there's BT, C&W, THUS, Opal Telecom - however
you'll need a LOT of minutes to do VoIP with them directly.

Beware if US calls are passed to the UK they need to pass the US
origination number and several providers will only allow you to set a UK
CallerID (it's an ITU requirement) - so you can potentially break the
law (which doesn't mean it cant be done).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com