[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk redundancy

Joseph Rothstein jrothstein at comcentrixs.com
Mon Apr 17 04:58:19 MST 2006

I'd like to start a discussion about Asterisk redundancy. I know this has
been covered in the past, but would like to get an idea of what people are
doing for a production system that must be up "all" the time.

Assuming a single E1 out.

Here are some of my ideas.

HA Linux between the two asterisk boxes. But I am not sure how the Asterisk
DB would handle a fail over. What happens to the SIP registrations? Can the
Asterisk DB be offloaded to MYSQL for example? The local DB is importatn
because this is a call center with agents logged in to multiple queues.
Config could either be realtime or duplicated manually. What about recorded
message, has anyone had any problems with an NFS volume providing recorded
messages such as periodic messages in queues? This solution would require a
manual swap of the E1 cable inthe event of failure.

Is anyone using a PRI to Ethernet bridge, or any other kind of E1 GW that
would allow failover to an alternate Asterisk box without manually switching
the cable? This one is a litte
expensive(http://www.mapleleaf-technologies.com/webstore/ethernetbridges.php
), but seems like it would do the trick. But I would have to run TDMoE
between the Asterisk boxes and the bridge. Not a big deal probably, but I
have no experience with TDMoE.

I would appreciate any comments regarding redundancy, and how people are
solving these problems.

Regards to all,
Joe