[Asterisk-Users] My consulting story

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Fri Apr 14 15:31:38 MST 2006

When I review all the proposals I have submitted, I realize that I
hardly ever sell to a prospect that has an IT staff, especially a staff
of one guy who knows absolutely everything.  Now my proposals to such
prospects are nothing more than a brief description of functionality and
the pricing--no more DIY manuals.  I no longer mention brand names or my
supplier names.

I've also begun requiring an up-front payment for additional equipment,
especially telephone sets.  Some customers ask for terms, to which I say
"Does Home Depot give you terms?".  I've been able to significantly
reduce my receivables with this policy.

When consulting with a company with an established presence in the
community, you really have to give then Net30, especially if they have a
formal accounts payable policy.  For telephone consulting, you first
need the client to demonstrate his willingness to pay, even if its just
$100.