[Asterisk-Users] My consulting story

Technical Support support at ocg.ca
Fri Apr 14 14:32:16 MST 2006

That's the nature of consulting - you have to balance demonstrating
competency with solving the problem before being paid.  We've had many
similar experiences, and we now require prepayment for 2 hrs service before
we do any work (or even talk to the client for more than a few minutes).
(Despite attempts by potential clients to make the sales call into a problem
solving call).  We have undoubtedly lost potential opportunities, but our
"walk away with free advice" effort has been almost eliminated.

The same goes for proposals.  I can't count the number of times our
proposals have become a do-it-yourselfer's guide to setting things up by
themselves.  I think it's great if customers want to do it themselves, but
don't waste our time!

I understand of course that it's tough for users too.  There are lots of
self proclaimed experts on the list who after hours of billed time have done
nothing for their money (we've cleaned up after lots of those folks too).
These are usually the same people sending out flame emails about how smart
they are and how stupid everyone else is.

MD

  _____