[Asterisk-Users] NAT/STUN Server

Ron Senykoff rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Thu Apr 13 15:28:45 MST 2006

> I am trying to register SIP clients which are behind NAT on different
> network. In order to achieve this goal I think I need STUN Server . I
> downloaded STUN Server from
> http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/stun/stund_0.96_Aug13.tgz
>  But I don't know how to install/configure it.
>
> And please advice me that STUN server is good idea for this scenario?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Wazb

If your asterisk server is on a WAN IP, then you may not even need STUN. Add
qualify=yes
nat=yes
to the sip.conf entry for each device.

This will have asterisk ignore the IP in the SIP packets and look at
the TCP header. Also, qualify will send a 'keep-alive' to keep NAT
from losing the association of ports.

HTH,
-Ron