[Asterisk-Users] playback soundfile in memory

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 13 09:04:07 MST 2006

Akpome Akpoguma wrote:

> I want to playback sound file loaded in memory not from a
> file...........is this possible?

Akpome,

If the sound file is being played more than once, there is a good chance
that this is already happening.  At one point, our production system had
100 calls in queue.  Each call had pre-queue announcements from the
dialplan, native MOH, and in-queue announcements.  I ran iostat on the
system, and there was no disk read activity at all.  I believe this can
be accounted for by Linux's file caching.

If you run iostat on your system and see read activity, give this a try:

1) Set up a RAM disk
2) Build an init-script that copies your sound files from the hard disk
to the RAM disk on boot
3) Configure Asterisk to play the files from the RAM disk

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer