[Asterisk-Users] Text labels on incoming call appearances?

William P.N. Smith w_smith at compusmiths.com
Wed Apr 12 18:35:08 MST 2006

Hi All,

I'm looking at an Asterix system for a small home office, 3 incoming
lines and eight phones scattered about the house, probably with a GUI
wrapper like SwitchVox to help with the administration.  I'm still
looking at phones, and am getting pretty confused.  It looks like the
phones have all the features _and_ the PBX has all the features, and
I'm not sure if I'm buying too much phone for what I want to do.

I'm upgrading from a Venture 3-line KSU-less phone system with 8
sets, which has the following features that we like:

3 lines
shared directory
paging (all or specific phone)
programmable keys (one for each phone, I can tell which is in use and
can do individual pages)

I'm thinking that I need four-line phones, but with call appearances
I'm no longer sure.  Can I do the following with 1-line or 2-line phones:

When line 1 rings, all the phones would display "Home" and the
CID.  Someone would pick up their handset and be connected to that line.

Then line 2 rings, all phones display "Work" and the CID.  Someone
picks up and gets that call.

Line 3 rings, all phones display "Fax" and the CID. More of the same.

It's easy to figure out how this works with four-line phones, but
with 1 or 2-line phones, how can the person select which line they
want to pick up?  Obviously it's easy to just "give me the line
that's ringing", but if I want to put one on hold and have someone
else pick up from somewhere else, or I want to make an outgoing call
on the "Work" line, how do I control my line selection?

Shared directories is very important to us, I can enter a name and
number at my desk and use it at any phone.  I don't seem to see this
as a feature on the phones I'm looking at.  Can this be done by (say)
reading all the phone's private directories, combining them and
writing them back to all the phones?

In an ideal world, I could look at _any_ phone and see my voicemail
indicator, is there a way to put up to four voicemail indicators on
every phone in parallel?

I'm looking at Linksys SPA-941 or 942 phones, and maybe the Polycom
IP-501, are there any better ones I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance!

William Smith w_smith at compusmiths.com