[Asterisk-Users] call center running Asterisk - sound quality-critical!

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Apr 12 08:40:11 MST 2006

Wai Wu wrote:

 > You got to be kidding about 53 calls being recorded at sametime is an
 > issue. I have done at least twice as many on my dual xeon 3.4Ghz system
 > and had no problem as clients like to record every call that goes
 > through the system.

Nope.  We took our system to MCI's development lab and ran it against an
Abacus 5000.  Things fell apart on the 64 call test.  We looked at the
logs and saw a massive amount of disk I/O, so we set up a RAM disk to
write the recordings to.  We were then able to successfully test up to
512 simultaneous calls.

Looking at this list and the wiki, you'll see that many other users ran
into the same issue at around 60 simultaneous recordings via Monitor().

Wai Wu wrote:

 > Then again, in my system, the in and out channels are mixed first before
 > they are written to the disk.
 > Just good old monitor with no mixing onto the scsi drive.

These statements seem contradictory.  I know of no way (short of a
custom patch) to tell Monitor() to mix the in and out legs prior to
writing them to disk.  On the other hand, MixMonitor() does just that
and I believe it also buffers the writes in a way that circumvents the
I/O bottleneck associated with Monitor().

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer