[Asterisk-Users] Re: update - 512 Simultaneous Calls with DigitalRecording

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Apr 11 13:55:47 MST 2006

Boris Bakchiev wrote:

>The simplest solution and the one already implemented in linux, tmpfs.
>It would be best to allocate 4-8GB to tmpfs on /tmp and let the kernel
>do the work it was designed to do. And you would not be limited to PCI
>bus speeds. The DDR2800 is about 12GB/sec. Some would say "overheads,
>etc, etc".
>Agreed, even at 95% loss (doubtful) you still get higher badwitch then
>PCI bus/hard rive could do :)
>
>Asterisk can be directed to save files to tmp and them you can move the
>files to remote server with least possible priority.

Boris,

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using tmpfs as opposed to the
following method:

- Configure the size of the RAM disk using the kernel command line
parameter "ramdisk_size=16777216" in grub.conf
- Format and mount the RAM disk as an ext2 filesystem via the following
lines in /etc/rc.local
/sbin/mke2fs -q -b 1024 -m 0 /dev/ram0
/bin/mount /dev/ram0 /digrec

I am primarily interested in performance benefits, but would appreciate
any information you could share on the topic.

Thank you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer