[Asterisk-Users] OT: HOWTO: Create a 90mbit bonded link 600 m etre s away with Cat 3 or telco wire [long]

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Sat Apr 8 10:05:19 MST 2006

>I have to ask, what was wrong with a pair of media converters ($200/pair
new,
>$50/pair on ebay) and some cheap-as-dirt multimode fiber?  Isolated,
100mbit
>and easily, easily gangable. Was the goal simply to get as fast as possible

>with regular copper wire, or was there a bigger objective?

>I do appreciate the effort put into this, though, and more than anything I
>appreciate your posting it here for others.  I sincerely thank you for
that.

Because of rights-of-way issues that happened after the copper was laid, it
was impossible to lay new fiber. The objective was to create a close to
100mbit as possible, redundant, and prioritizable (sp?) link using the
existing copper.

The link just functions as a plain jane bridge right now but sticking Linux
in the mix allows for future QoS and routing enhancements when the remote
location grows. This is a large consideration because the company I work for
is experiencing 100% yearly growth with no end in sight.

Thanks for the comments. It was a cool learning experience for me; I'm
actually suprised and impressed that it works so well. Ping times are
precisely the same as the local switch! When the users moved over, they just
plugged in.

Yay Linux