[Asterisk-Users] Re: [OT] Centrex Question

Levolorman at aol.com Levolorman at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 07:53:43 MST 2006

Hi  gang:

Regarding the Centrex, I have digital centrex and joined this group to see
if I could learn a bit more about VOIP (as my PBX died unexpectedly and I'm
moving towards a hosted PBX over VOIP).

Here's how Centrex works.  You get a number of Centrex lines and then  run
your extensions as you would with a standard POTS system.  Each Centrex  line
has its' own number, so in a large business, you would use each line as a
unique extension giving a direct dial capability to an individual  extension.

You're describing a small business.  If they have 2 Centrex lines,  they can
be on 2 simultaneous calls.  Those calls can be incoming,  outgoing,
conference, fax, etc.  However, you cannot be on more calls at  the same time than the
number of lines that you have, other than conference or  switching between
calls (as the switching is done central office).

In my office, we have 3 Centrex voice lines (1 dedicated fax), 6 extensions
and 5 employees.  It's rare that we have 5 employees in at the same time  and
even more unlikely that 3 people are on the phone at the same time, so the
combination of a PBX with Centrex was to our advantage.

Why Centrex for us?  Because when I locked into it, 11 years ago, I  locked
my telephone pricing for 7 years.  It was a time of uncertainty due  to
deregulation and I stuck with Verizon (then NY Telephone?) and reduced my  then
current costs by 35%.  The features of Centrex were not of much value  to my
employees (as they don't think outside of the box), but the cost savings  were of
instant value.

Some years later, I installed an inexpensive PBX which gave me voicemail  and
better internal call handling.  The cost savings from that came a bit  later.
 Utility that I discovered, was the ability to make 1 of my 3  Centrex lines
(the last line in the ring pattern) an unlimited outgoing  line.  Having done
that, I made that the line that was picked up when  somebody lifted a receiver
to make an outgoing call.  Our primary number  was still advertised for
incoming calls.  That tactic reduced my local,  long distance and regional calling
costs by approximately $30 per month.

So, what's the advantage of Centrex for a 2 line business?  The  package of
call forwarding, call waiting, etc. and perhaps some cost.  They  can transfer
between the phones, however, I assume if it's a 2 line business,  they are too
small for that to be of much value.

The utility provided by VOIP PBX is much greater (if they can take
advantage).  Voicemail emailed, transfer to outside phones, ringblasts,  ext.

Now for the cost implications:  My current 4 lines cost me  $160/mo.  Going
to VOIP hosted PBX, I will pay approx. $50/mo each for  unlimited outgoing
lines.  (That get's me 3 for the same price, however, I  will still have to
maintain a dedicated fax line which will be POTS for the  moment).  What I can't get
my head around, is how to increase my total  quantity of VOIP extensions for
the same price as I'm currently paying.   It's not that I use more than 3
phones at 1 time, it's that I would like to be  able to pick one up on the front
counter as a convenience, or if my installer  has calls to make, he can make
them from his desk, rather than passing a phone  back and forth.

It appears that your client, may be in a similar quandry without
understanding the value of the technology.  Remember, for a geek it's the  coolness of
the stuff, however for the rest of the world, it's about what will  it do for
me.  Not that you can transfer a call to a cell phone and then  back to the
office, but that you can be more accessible to your client which  will make you
more important to them.

Now, if any of you experts have thoughts on how I can make this work better
for me, I'm all ears.  At the moment I have Packet 8 (on a trial basis) but
am heading towards Aptela because it appears that their system is more flexible
 and business oriented.  The one thing I need to get away from is
maintaining a system myself, which is why I haven't put in a server with  Asterisk on
it.

Rick

Rick  Smith
JDR Windows Inc
Providing quality window treatments throughout North  America
914-666-5777 x.13
914-666-5796 (fax)

In a message dated 4/8/2006 3:57:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,