[Asterisk-Users] Queues - Dumb question

Franklin Webb fwebb at imminc.com
Wed Apr 5 12:09:59 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wes Baehr" <wbaehr at abilitybusiness.com>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 3:16 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Queues - Dumb question

> It was my understanding that when an agent answers a queue call, he will
not
> be hit with another call until he finishes his current call.
>
> Currently, my agents get hit with calls from the queue while they are
still
> on a previous call, so I've resorted to setting their "call-limit" in
> sip.conf to 1. But, this prevents them from putting one call on hold and
> making another call (although they could use parking).
>
> Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm asking anyway :)

Wes,

I don't know that ours is the best solution, but we addressed this by
turning call waiting off on our agents SIP phones.  We use Snom 320s and
there is a "Call Waiting Indicator" under the advanced section.  Like you I
originally set the call limit to 1, but that is not feasable because our
agents have to place outgoing calls and transfer the caller, and we can't
have additional calls incomming during this time.

On the bright side one thing I noticed is that if the agent never picks up
the second call, the caller remains in the queue, though while they are
"ringing the second line" they can't get answered by a different agent until
Asterisk decides to give up on that agent and try another.  I tested this by
"being" the caller and confirmed I never heard anything but music on hold
even while the second line on the agent's phone was flashing, though I
cannot swear you are getting the same behaviour with your phones.

Oh and I also had an issue with Snom Firmware higher than 4.5 that caused
this same problem, so we've had to stay with the 4.5 firmware.

Hope this is of some help,

Frank Webb
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Assistant Project Leader