[Asterisk-Users] GoDaddy royally screws over aussievoip.com.au and soft-swtich.org

Rob Thomas rob at wpm4l.com
Mon Apr 3 19:36:15 MST 2006

Well, I wake up this morning, and aussievoip isn't up. I ring godaddy,
who _were_ hosting it, and they say that the machine's been compromised,
and you can't have your data. Nyah Nyah.

I spent 1 hour and 38 minutes on the phone to them, trying to convince
them to let me somehow get access to it, but to no avail. I've reported
it to the Australian Federal Police High-Tech Crime Unit, asking for a
forensic analysis of the attack - hopefully I'll be able to get a copy
of the data from the police, eventually, that way.  Until then, however,
we're out of luck.

I've had a couple of offers of hosting (I put it on voip-info.org) but
for the moment, I've signed up with serverpronto, which does get 1440
hits from google on 'serverpronto sucks'- which is an order of magnitude
less than 'godaddy sucks', at 155,000 hits. (With quotes, it gets 3
hits, and godaddy gets 783)

So, basically, aussievoip.com and soft-switch.org will be down for AT
LEAST 24 hours. I've spoken to coppice and he has a reasonably recent
backup, but I'll be crawling google's cache for anything in there to try
to rebuild aussievoip.

Yes, I had backups. They were on the machine. It was a shared hosting
server. You'd expect never to have data _loss_, just fumble-finger-ism.
Obviously, I was wrong.

GoDaddy sucks, indeed.

Anyway, it's being taken care of, just don't expect there to be any
aussievoip for at least a couple of days.

--Rob