[Asterisk-Users] update - 512 Simultaneous Calls with Digital Recording

Isaac Xiao isaac.x at kvbkunlun.com
Mon Apr 3 01:13:57 MST 2006

Hi All,

In previous mail lists, people talked about a solution to record large
amount of simultaneous calls. And then it seems that RAM disk solution
was the best choice due to the I/O bottleneck of Hard disk (System).
Please find the previous discussion as follows:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-October/120930.htm

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.telephony.pbx.asterisk.user/118497

I noticed that an Intel server platform comes with 4 ports SATA-II
RAID0/1 controller. Please check this link:

http://developer.intel.com/design/servers/boards/se7230nh1-e/index.htm

SATA-II is 3Gps I/O. so I am thinking implement this solution for
recording large amount of simultaneous calls. My proposed solution is:

CPU: Prentium 4 Dual core 3.2G or higher

RAM: 2G or more

OS HDD: 2 x 80G SATA-II HDD for RAID 1 (for OS)

Separate HDD for voice recording: 1 x 200G SATA-II HDD standalone

Voice recording format: WAV

I did a test on my Asterisk PBX. One leg of 61 seconds WAV voice
recording use 947564 bytes of hard disk. I did an optimal estimate of
numbers of simultaneous calls with 3Gps without thinking of CPU and
system limitation.

Two legs: 947564 x 2 x 8 = 1895128 Bytes x 8 = 15161024 bits

15161024/61 = 248541 bits/s

So the number of simultaneous calls 3Gps I/O can handle:

3(Gps) x 1024(Mb/G) x 1024 (Kb/M) x 1024 (b/Kb) / 248541 = 12960 calls.

512 are far less than 12960. So I think the hard disk I/O should not
have any bottleneck problem for 512 simultaneous calls.

Welcome to add your comments, do test and give feedback.

Cheers,

Isaac Xiao