[Asterisk-Users] Calls Dropping w/ Cisco 7960 Phones

Jon Dahl fraggn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 08:47:08 MST 2005

Hello,

I have scoured google for the last couple of days, implemented some changes
but my issue is still occuring.

My company uses a hardware Bridge System for conferencing. Typically, users
will call in from cell phones but three always call from the VoIP system.
Once or twice a day, one of the VoIP phones will just drop. Subsequently, we
will hear a modem like sound through the bridge system when this happens.
The only way to make the sound disappear is to reset the Bridge or unplug
the POTS line to which the VoIP phone came in on.

We have Asterisk CVS-v1-0-05/30/05-19:08:10 running on a Dual Xeon
3.0Ghz2GB RAM machine. OS is Redhat
4.0 with updates applied regularly.
Our provider is SIP only, no IAX. Our phones (Cisco 7960 - SIP) are
connected to a Cisco 3560 POE switch. IP Addresses are received through DHCP
and link speed
is auto.

Has anyone else experienced this situation before? It's hard for me to
figure out if Asterisk or the phones are sending the modem sound or not. The
phone
company has checked each POTS line into the Bridge and they are all fine.
The Bridge is new and recently installed. The vendor had checked everything
out and there are no issues with it. Additionally, the Bridge requires a
security code, so there is no way a fax machine could get in as the
lines(Phone Numbers)
are new.

I'm not seeing anything in the /asterisk/messages file stating there were
any problems. No disconnects are listed, or unable to register with our
provider.

TIA,

Jon Dahl