[Asterisk-Users] Any way to not overwrite sound files on compile?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 30 08:39:17 MST 2005

Matt wrote:

> I end up with the version of Asterisk I wanted installed, my sound
> files get over written, and my config files stay in place.... =\
> very odd and slightly frustraighting!

That is correct. 'make install' installs the standard sound files along
with the binaries; if we did not do that, then when the code had been
changed to required new sound files they would not be present...

However, we have been working on a simpler method to handle this, where
the sound files directory would be version-tagged, and we wouldn't
overwrite anything unless the new version was needed. This would still
overwrite your files though, if a new version of the sound files was
needed with an Asterisk upgrade. The only solution for that problem is
to version-tag every single sound file, and I don't think it's worth the
hassle for that.

How about if we add a 'post-install' step in the Makefile, that would
run a local script/program if specified, which could copy your sound
files back into place?