[Asterisk-Users] minor(? ) Grandstream phone issue

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:48:59 MST 2005

I don't have your problem with not hanging up.  And I do get a dial
tone.  It even stutters when there is voicemail.  I have an older one,
BT-100 I think.

I do have a few other beefs with it though:

- The display backlight times out too fast normally.  I wish it would
stay lit for a few minutes at least, or maybe all the time.  (It
should be configurable.)
- The backlight flashing when there is voicemail is too annoying.  The
message button doesn't light up at all; I wish it would flash, instead
of the display.
- When there is a ring on the landline, asterisk gets the Grandstream
to ring.  But then if I pick up an analog phone directly on the
landline to answer the call, it doesn't notice very fast, and
continues to ring 2 or 3 times.  I'm not sure if this is an asterisk
issue or something else.
- When I use the grandstream to talk on the land line, people tell me
I don't sound very good.  Haven't figured out yet whether this is bad
choice of codec, bad implementation of the mic circuit on the phone,
or something with the interface to the land line.  I suspect the mic
circuit is an area where they may very well have cut corners.

I'm a newbie, and with the complexity of this system I think I'm going
to be a newbie for a while yet.

So is there a similarly affordable ethernet phone that gets everything
right? Overall I think the Grandstream was pretty innovative when it
first came out, but it's too bad the firmware isn't open source,
because most of my beefs could be fixed in software.