[Asterisk-Users] Remotely dialing calls from a polycom phone

Paul Davidson plancomm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 09:12:23 MST 2005

>Message: 7
>Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:53:27 -0400
>From: Eric Lawman <elawman at gmail.com>
>Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Remotely dialing calls from a polycom phone
>To: Asterisk-Users at lists.digium.com

>I have a Polycom IP600 serving as a receptionist phone. We developed a call
>manager via c/gtk that runs on a touchpad. It allows them to transfer
calls,
>transfer to voicemail, page, etc. The problem is this: When paging another
>phone from the touchpad, I have to open a channel to the receptionist
>phone.
>This rings the receptionist phone. When she picks up, it then pages the
>desired person. This is fine, except it can be confusing for the
>receptionist. "Why do I have to answer the phone so I can page >someone?"
>What I'm looking for is a little more direct integration between the
>touchpad and the polycom.

>So, the question is, does anyone know of a way to initiate a call on a
>polycom via the remote access port. I was thinking of something similar to
>the way you can reboot one using a NOTIFY message containing >"check-sync".
>I've tried monitoring the sip messages between the phone and asterisk, >but
>so far have only succeeded in making a phone call itself.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>Eric.

First thing that comes to mind here is using auto-answer. While I don't have
an IP600 to play with (donations accepted), the way I would envision this is
to configure an auto-answer extension on hte Polycom, and have the touchpad
action call the auto-answer extension using a .call file to Asterisk. Touch
the pad, it drops the .call in, which goes to a meetme with all the
necessary extensions in the paging group added. Touch again, drop the call
(via the manager API would be my approach).

All untested- but fairly straightfoward. If you want to email me directly,
I'd be happy to help further.

-Paul Davidson
PlanCommunications, LLC