[Asterisk-Users] Audio Files, Filtering, and Formats for Asterisk

Sherwood McGowan madprofzero at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 05:49:13 MST 2005

I listened to all the demos you showed.

My ear discerns a little muffling and minor "slushiness" in the GSM files
you sent, along with a much more narrow bandwidth, mainly on the high end
side, and Allison either has a mild whistling s or slushy s sound in her
voice or the producer didn't properly compress it to "de-ess" the recording.
Or, I could just be rather tired.

Either way, your best bet is to have the system use WAV files but also make
available GSM and ulaw versions of the same files. This is so that the
system can pick (and it does this automatically) the best format that
requires the least amount of CPU power for transcoding. If I remember
correctly, FXO/FXS cards can use straight PCM files.

What I do to prepare a file is this:

I record in 48Khz 32 bit mode (32 bit is just higher resolution so
processing has more to work with, 16 bit is fine since it's the end result),
then I compress with de-essing and pop removal (maximizes volume, removes
slushy or whistling s's and popping p's), then run through an FFT (Fast
Fourier Transform) to bring the frequency response within the natural range
of a telephone (if I remember correctly it's within the 300 - 4K range, I
can check if need be).

Then I reduce the file to a 8Khz, 16 bit mono file. Then I check the audio
again, and normalize (like compression but only raises the whole file to
where the highest peak of audio reaches the level requested, instead of
raising or lowering the level on a dynamic basis by using readahead of a
couple milliseconds). I usually normalize to around -3db.

The end result is a WAV file that sounds good over the phone. I then put the
file on the asterisk server (or another server with sox installed) and
convert to gsm, ulaw, and alaw (using the original WAV, not using converted
gsm or whatever).

Hope this was helpful, and I wish you luck. If nothing else, for like $50 or
so (depending on how many files there are) I would be willing to take a
series of WAV files from you and perform the filtering and whatnot for you,
and supply gsm, wav, ulaw, and alaw.

I'm also going to just try and get a series of recordings together through
my partner's studio in Phoenix AZ, make the files available to the
community, and take up donations for the studio and processing time.

Talk to you soon. I'm going to cc the asterisk-users list for this, so that
the community can benefit from the information.

SKM