[Asterisk-Users] T.38 Faxing

Roger Schreiter roger at planinternet.de
Wed Sep 28 14:46:18 MST 2005

Carlos Alperin schrieb:
> Bank, and send all the faxes through that system, and forget to try anything
> through Asterisk.
>
> We're already tired of the complainings from customers that never can send
> faxes, or sometimes some pages.

Wow, strong words!

Since our experiences with asterisk are mainly positive,
we won't forget faxing through asterisk.

As long as asterisk is just used as pbx or switch, it is
obviously capable of transporting 100 and more faxes
simultaniously without problems.

The only thing missing seems to be a reliable modulator/
demodulator and T.30 machine.

rxfax/txfax+spandsp is still far away from being reliable under
high load, but developing. Our experience is, that it does
a very good job when sending or receiving single faxes.
As soon as three or more faxes are processed at once,
problems do occour.

We are currently testing a commercial fax library with the goal,
to implement an IAX client as fax server, in order the send or
receive some dozen faxes simultaniously. It is too early to
say, if we'll succeed, but we hope so, and thus won't forget
faxing through asterisk.

This is _no_ announcement of a product, since we currently
won't have the right to distribute the library, but we think,
it would be very interesting to know, whether it works or not.
Those, looking for a GNU licenced tool will have to wait for
progresses of spandsp anyway.

By the way, the producer of the library announces T.38 support in
some weeks. asterisk just started to support T.38 pass through,
and probably will do it reliably in some weeks. Maybe this will
enable T.38 support for asterisk - though unfortunately not for free nor
open source.

Roger.