[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Sep 28 10:44:53 MST 2005

> > > Why on earth would you want to run it on Windows?  First off, your
> > > performance is going to go down because of the GUI... oh your call
> > > quality just went down the toilet?  Yeah sorry the screen saver just
> > > kicked in.   Having issues making calls?  Oh sorry we had to reboot
> > > for a critical update.   Yeah I know audio isn't working right, the
> > > swap file is a little large right now, we need to reboot.
> > >
> > > Are you on crack?!?!   Asterisk runs well on Linux because
> > of the lack
> > > of a GUI... sleek simple interface (text) to it.   Linux is free,
> > > windows adds a license cost.   Since you shouldn't be running any
> > > other applications on the server anyway, why not just
> > install Linux?
> > > Trying to run it on windows seems like a bad idea to me.
> >
> > Most of the above certainly is focused on generating another
> > religious war relative to operating systems, etc, that has
> > little factual basis.
> >
> > For those of us that really don't care about such wars, there
> > have been plenty of Linux apps that have been ported to
> > Win32, several of which are run in production environments
> > (at high usage rates) without the difficulties or the reboots
> > noted above. Many Win32 apps run in a high- visibility
> > high-security production environment (such as intrusion
> > detection systems, vpn hosts, etc), and can be secured "if"
> > the sys admin knows what they are doing.
> >
> > Asterisk has been ported to Win32 systems, however the real
> > reason why such ports are not considered production quality
> > has its roots in the device drivers required to drive digium
> > cards and associated critical timing routines; nothing more,
> > nothing less. The device driver porting is not a trivial task.
> >
> > Personally, I could care less which O/S the stuff runs on as
> > long as it runs reliably, and the sys admin understands how
> > to manage whatever sytem he/she is responsible for.
>
> I have not declared a jihad against Windows myself but by your own admission
> Rich, you have excluded Windows.  The GUI is integral with the OS and
> therein lies one of the main reasons that critical timing routines are
> basically impossible in Win32.  Same problems arise when you run Xwindows in
> Linux but the key point is that you can chose NOT to install/run Xwindows in
> Linux.

The point I was trying to make is that one _can_ write code for any
of the mentioned O/S's to accomplish about anything that one wants,
including running sensitive apps with GUI, etc. (Sniffer being able
to truly analyze packets in a GUI environment at full nic speed was
the example. Lots of other examples for other O/S's as well.)

For the work that I do, my laptop is a triple boot system that includes
multiple Win32 systems and linux. I'm very happy working with whatever
system gets the job down. :)