[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Sep 28 09:10:18 MST 2005

> > Personally, I could care less which O/S the stuff runs on as long as
> > it runs reliably, and the sys admin understands how to manage whatever
> > sytem he/she is responsible for.
>
> Extremely good point... I myself am a Linux person, but manage several
> Windows machines (several meaning 25 or so).   There is definately a
> time and place for Windows.. I'm just not sure a real-time-VoIP server
> is the time or place.

The real-time issues can be addressed reliably as proven by several very
well respected Win32 apps including Sniffer technologies. As a long-time
professional services provider, if I miss even one packet (at full nic
speed) with a sniffer on Win32, I would not be able to do my job. And
as a reminder, lan packets captured by sniffer _don't_ occur every 20 ms
or whatever. The same can _not_ be said of TDM drivers on any linux
system (as yet anyway).

Regardless of the O/S, it still boils down to using the skills necessary
to accomplish the development goals. Application developers don't make
good device driver programmers; those good at linux driver development
don't make good Win32 device driver programmers; and, those good at
Win32 device driver development don't make good linux driver developers.
(I'm sure there are some exceptions, but those individuals are far and
few between without a shadow of a doubt.)

> Being semi-half serious about the GUI there
> also.    You install X on your Asterisk server and things will not be
> happy either.

GUI interfaces (including X) are not a problem by themselves. E.g., if
X is running and not heavily used, its not a problem for linux distro's
assuming the sys admin knows what they are doing with the hardware and
software. Same with Win32.

I'm certainly not taking any position on porting Asterisk to Win32; I'm
happly with it on linux, but I wouldn't trade my Win32 Sniffer for
Ethereal either.