[Asterisk-Users] How to retrieve voicemail from an IP phone?

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii rudolfl at optusnet.com.au
Wed Sep 21 03:59:37 MST 2005

Hi,

You need a single extension to call voicemail. I am using 100.
extensions.conf
exten =>100,1,VoiceMailMain(${CALLERIDNUM})
exten =>100,2,Hangup()

Now, if you simply call VoiceMailMain() without parameters, voicemail system
will ask you to enter the number of mailbox you want to access. This is
useful if you want to read any mailbox from any phone.
However, if you specify a parameter like I did, voicemail will automatically
go into mailbox for the extension you have called from. There is a little
trick to get it work, though. Normally caller ID is a name like "Joe Smith"
You will have to specify caller ID per user like that: (sip.conf for
example)
[user1]
callerid="Joe Smith" <101>

This will present asterisk with a way to get both name and extension number.

Rudolf