[Asterisk-Users] IAX dialplan problem?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Sep 19 14:36:11 MST 2005

 > In the above example, you have to press 1,2 or 3 before it will tell you
that. I was wanting it to tell me before I  > pressed those numbers.

You have to get to a context before you can do any action  so you have to
dial *something* to get to that context. However, with Zapata interfaces
(i.e. you are using a Digium TDM card + a regular POTS phone) you can
specify immediate=yes in zapata.conf so as soon as the phone goes off-hook
it will be thrown into that extension's 's' priority. However, a VoIP phone
or an IAXy would have to be set to auto-dial an extension as soon as it goes
off hook, and this is dependent on the model of phone that you have. There
are smarter people than me on the list that can comment on how this would
work with an IAXy.

Can an IAX device be setup so that it appears to be an inbound DID, and if
so how can I do that with the IAXy?

Sort of. An IAX device has to be defined in IAX.conf with a default context,
or Asterisk won't know what context to hand the call off to when the IAX
device tries to instantiate a call on your Asterisk box. You can simulate an
"inbound" call simply by making the context entry in IAX.conf the same
context as what is used for inbound calls. So if your default context for
PSTN calls is "from-pstn" you would make the context entry for the IAXy to
"from-pstn" and any time the IAXy dials, Asterisk would throw the call into
the "from-pstn" context and attempt to match the extension dialled from the
IAXy to an entry in the "from-pstn" context. If there was no direct match,
Asterisk would try the 's' extension. If the 's' extension would not yield a
match, Asterisk would return 404 to the IAXy.

hth