[Asterisk-Users] Silence suppression /RTP VAD and Asterisk? Dropped calls on IP-500

Jeremy Gault jgault at winworld.cc
Mon Sep 19 13:53:23 MST 2005

david.j as wrote:
<snip>

>problems.  They tell me that I need to disable silence suppression on
>the IP-500 because Asterisk won't support it and either Asterisk or
>the MG thinks the call is dropped in abstence of RTP packets.
>
> However I can't find any reference to this in the Polycom manual.
>Does anyone know how to turn VAD/Silence suppression on the Polycom --
>or if it even supports it?  Is there a work around with Asterisk?

We have it disabled here.  It is in the ipmid.cfg file.  Open up your
ipmid.cfg file and do a search for VAD.  We have a line like this:

<VAD voice.vadEnable="0" voice.vadThresh="15"/>

To be more specific, look in your ipmid.cfg under the <voice> section.
That is where you should find it.  Most likely, voice.vadEnable="1" in
your installation.  Change this to 0, save the file, and reboot the
phones.  If VAD (Voice Activity Detetion) is indeed the cause of your
problem, it should go away after updating the config and rebooting.

          Jeremy

--
Jeremy Gault, KD4NED    <jgault at winworld.cc>
Network Administrator, WinWorld Corporation
fwd: 461771             msn msgr: jgault at winworld.cc