[Asterisk-Users] IAX dialplan problem?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Sep 19 13:31:44 MST 2005

[default]

exten => 1,1,Playback(YouPressedOne)
exten => 1,2,Playback(BecauseYouPressed1IWillCallCarol)
exten => 1,3,Goto(first-ivr,s,1)

exten => 2,1,Playback(YouPressedTwo)
exten => 2,2,Playback(BecauseYouPressed1IWillCallCarol)
exten => 2,3,Goto(second-ivr,s,1)

exten => 3,1,Playback(YouPressedTwo)
exten => 3,2,Playback(BecauseYouPressed3IWillSendYouToVoicemail)
exten => 3,3,Goto(third-ivr,s,1)

[first-ivr]

exten => s,1,Dial(InsertDialStatementHere)
exten => s,2,Playback(Goodbye)
exten => s,3,Hangup

[second-ivr]

exten => s,1,Dial(InsertDialStatementHere)
exten => s,2,Playback(Goodbye)
exten => s,3,Hangup

[third-ivr]

exten => s,1,VoiceMailMain(default)
exten => s,2,Playback(Goodbye)
exten => s,3,Hangup

Get it? In a context (which is the name specified in brackets) , the first
number in a statement indicates the extension, which Asterisk interprets
through a DTMF tone (you press buttons to dial something) or a DID number
for inbound calls (in the case of a PRI) and executes statements according
to the priority, which is the next number.

The first number 'exten => 1' allows you to group related statements
together and bind them to an extension number ( which could be internal /
outbound, could be external / inbound) and the second number 'exten => 1,1'
specifies the order in which the statements are executed. After a statement
is executed, and it could be executed incorrectly or correctly, or it could
have executed successfully or unsucessfully, it will then process the next
line in the context until it runs out of stuff to do.

When you dial out, Asterisk determines the context in which your phone is to
be run in, and tries to match what you dialled to an extension specified in
the context for your phone. If there is no match, it tries the s extension.
If the s extension does not exist or is invalid, Asterisk returns a busy
tone and "404 not found" on your phone.

When someone dials in, Asterisk tries to match the DID number against an
extension in the inbound calls context. If there is no match, it tries the s
extension in the inbound calls context. If the s extension does not exist or
is invalid, Asterisk rejects the call.

The s extension is a special kind of extension. It means, "Execute these
statements regardless of the extension specified in the context unless told
otherwise, or if there is no match for the extension requested".  In the
example above, pressing 1 or 2 will do something, but if you press any other
digit, Asterisk will hang up the call. Why? Because in the [default]
context, I specified something for Asterisk to do if I press 1 or 2, but I
didn't specify it for any other number and I didn't specify an 's' extension
which would have handled a keypress other than 1 or 2.